Search

Total Pageviews

Friday 24 October 2014

Author spotlight and Interview: Purba Chakraborty

Interview


Congratulations on the publication of your book, “The Hidden Letters”.

The story of an author, a loving wife, and doting mother, whose peaceful life turns upside down. The epicenter of this turmoil is her past. And in an intriguing story unfolds the destiny of Anaya.

Question: So, tell us moments that were very special while writing this book?
Answer: Thank you so much.
I had a wonderful time writing this book. The scenes of Anaya and Olivia reminded me of my mother and I wondered if she would have been alive today, I would have shared a similar relationship with her. Some chapters also made me deeply emotional. I remember I cried like anything after penning down a chapter. And finally when I completed the book, the joy and relief that I got was incredible. I was so happy for my protagonist, Anaya.

Question: You have created women characters that a reader identifies with, portrayed as women of substance, opinionated and strong. Was it a deliberate attempt or did it flow in the story?
Ans:  It was quite deliberate. When the plot of “The Hidden Letters” struck my mind, I wanted to create a woman protagonist who is very strong and dignified and yet vulnerable. Someone who has flaws and who makes mistakes but her compassion, patience and love will be able to touch hearts of readers.

Question: All writers draw from their everyday life, what was it in the novel that has been heavily borrowed from yours?
Ans: The plot of the book was not borrowed from my life but the characters of this book are largely inspired by real life characters who I know personally.

Question: This one is tricky: Blogging or writing?
Ans: I started blogging even before my first book was published. So blogging has been an integral part of my life. However now after writing 2 books, I want to dedicate more time to writing. But if I don’t write at least 3 blog posts in a month, I feel awful and culpable.

Question: Should we judge a book by its story or by the book’s commercial success? We would love to hear your take on this!
Ans: We should definitely judge a book by its story and not by its commercial success. A book’s commercial success depends largely on the marketing and promotion of the book. Even if a bad book gets marketed in the right way, it will be a commercial successful novel. There are plenty of such hyped books in the market that can barely touch even one reader’s heart. Every good writer may not be capable of marketing and promoting his books in the best possible way but that does not make him a less good writer. If a person is genuinely interested in reading good books, he should check out reviews by some good book reviewers rather than relying on a book’s commercial success.

Question: Do you believe that only happy endings work in novels, as far as the Indian readers or the Indian set-up is concerned?
Ans: There is a huge set of readers who only read books that have happy endings. If they come to know somehow that the book has a tragic ending, they won’t even read it. I really find this logic funny but that’s how it is. Many people read fiction to escape reality. Happy endings make them feel happy whereas tragic endings land them back to reality. Everyone might like a book with a happy ending but everyone would not like a book that has a tragic or incomplete ending.



Thanks for your time and answers. We wish you the best of luck for your book! And hoping to read more from you!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts